Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Regards to Abortion and SB 575

My comment on Kim Hernandez's blog Poli Texas on her article Banning Insurers From Covering Abortion.

My Comment:

I generally try not to assume religious conviction for these kinds of laws, even if they do align with common religious reasoning, just due to it not actually being included in the legislation.  Saying that proposed legislation is religious leaning serves as a red herring and distracts from what the legislation really wants to accomplish and doesn't offer any counter argument for it. 
I feel like these kind of decisions should be left to insurance agencies and not up to government regulation.  Even then, I would prefer insurance agencies cover the costs as pregnancy can be life threatening and cost quite the pretty penny. 
In no other instance but abortion do we force someone to save another person's life.  If I had the only kidney that could save governor Abbot's life, it would be illegal for the state to force me to give up my kidney or any organ to save his life.  Granted choosing not to give up my kidney requires no medical procedure.  As controversial as abortion is, I do feel like it really does come down to whether or not we can force someone to give up their own health to save another person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment